Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008: Mission Statement Partly Accomplished


Several years ago, during a time when I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and "underemployed," I wrote a mission statement for myself. As I wrote it, I realized it was okay to aspire to be a serious "creative," because in doing so, I could share the benefits of these activities with my children, broadening their horizons at a young age in a way my I never did. Here's an excerpt from what I wrote:

"To renew a sense of value in my life, bring me back to the true interests that have been with my throughout my life and career, and draw my family, friends and those who experience my work into a world of creativity and humor with me. To allow my family, friends and associates to enjoy the social, cultural and spiritual benefits of this life, in the hopes that they also will be inspired to be creative and effective. To create cultural works that will be of lasting value and inspiration."

In the time since, I have taken a few shots at this. I experimented with some standup comedy for a while, and worked on some television commercials, corporate videos, a "mockumentary" and a horror film.

I continue to pursue opportunities in all these areas. But above all, I have come to realize that music offers me some of the most promising opportunities to achieve my mission statement objectives. I have been a musician since I started playing bass guitar with my friends at about age 14. Many years have passed, and while I have had the guitar out on and off, actively playing music has not been a part of my life.

In that sense, 2008 had already been a great year for me. I took a shot answering a Craigslist ad for a guitarist, and thanks to the welcoming Andrew Camarco, Bob Muller, John Cunningham and John Esposito, I am part of a great band - Triple 7 - whose motto is: "If I ain't having fun, I'm done."

And we are having fun. I'm learning new music, expanding my musical abilities, and meeting great people. My bandmates are all passionate about expanding their abilities and playing out, which we've done a few times now.

However, my hosts for last night's New Year's Eve bash, the extended Camarco family, could not have known how important last night was to me. Because it offered the opportunity to close out an already great year by having my kids see my band play for the first time. One of the goals of my mission statement.

Well, due to some weather and other logistical problems, some members of the band couldn't make it. But Andrew, our drummer, and his nephew Brian, a former member of the band, were available to do drums and bass respectively. At Andrew's prodding I grabbed the nearby guitar (Brian's Fender Strat - thanks Brian) and we jammed a few songs - while the rest of the crowd did what I understand is classic Camarco Karaoke.

From afar I could see the kids watching. And clapping along. Singing. Connor had already received some free drumming lessons from Andrew earlier in the evening. (He just started taking guitar lessons this year.) Later, during a break in the action, Kevin and Connor would sit while the rest of the Camarcos sang some other tunes. Kevin would also grab the mic for the first time, and just make silly noises into it, uttering his trademark hearty laugh.

It didn't matter that daughter Emma would throw up on me later that evening. (She's fine now.) Nothing could "dampen" my spirits. I had, to some degree, done what I had set out to do several years ago. It has been a long, twisted path. But here I am, thanks to some good luck and some great people.

And there are more fun gigs to come in the months and years ahead. And more improvement of my playing. We'll see how far it will take me and my family and friends.

My success here has also given me the confidence to pursue more of my goals. 2009 will hopefully bring more successes.

I also found out this week from my doctor as well that my chronic illness ("Crohn's Colitis," as my doctor unconventionally calls it) has eased off so much, that I won't need to be checked out so frequently. I am extremely fortunate to have what appears to be a "mild case" as she described it.

It started to get milder around the time I wrote my mission statement.

I don't know what the future holds, medically, or musically. I pray a silent prayer every day to a darker God than that of my childhood that I and those I know and love will escape tragedy. But I am deeply grateful for the good things that 2008 has brought. And more hopeful for the future than I have been in some time.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. My brother, a psychologist and a wise man (www.jonathanrapp.com) has told me that it's much more important than we realize for dads and their kids to "play" together. Just plain ol' play, with no other purpose than to have fun. think it's probably also helpful for your kids to see you playing for fun too. (My brother wasn't speaking in particular about music, but I would think the kind of "playing" your doing counts as play). I bet they like seeing their dad do something he loves, just for fun.

    ReplyDelete