Sunday, December 17, 2006

Thoughts on Gary Numan

British industrial rocker Gary Numan fascinates me. Not only do I love his deeply engaging and original sound, but some of his works are thought-provoking and powerful.

His "Prayer for the Unborn" (below) is a remarkable statement of dissatisfaction with God, who didn't intervene in the death by miscarriage of Numan's unborn child. Whether you are an atheist (as he is) or not, you can understand the frustration he expresses here. In fact, as this song demonstrates, Numan's atheism seems to be directed at a God who is hearing, but not answering him.



Critics note that Numan, who in his early career struggled with some very derivative work, has finally discovered a unique voice and vision as he wrestles with darker themes.

Gary Numan's official website

1 comment:

  1. I am not familiar with all of his earlier work. "Prayer for the Unborn" instantly struck me - the haunting sound really emphasizes the dark theme and gives his lyrics tremendous power.

    I think these words are the saddest:
    "So, she died
    And you were glorious
    But you were somewhere else"


    Here are the full lyrics:

    So, I prayed
    But you weren't listening.
    Making miracles?

    So, I begged
    But you were far away.
    Saving souls perhaps?

    So, I screamed
    But she was very small
    And you have worlds to mend

    So, she died
    And you were glorious
    But you were somewhere else

    If you are my shepherd
    Then I'm lost and no-one can find me
    If you are my saviour
    Then I'm dead and no-one can help me
    If you are my glory
    Then I'm sick and no-one can cure me
    If you light my darkness
    Then I'm blind and no-one can see me

    If you are my father
    Then love lies abandoned and bleeding
    If you are my comfort
    Then nightmares are real and deceiving
    If you are my answer
    Then I must have asked the wrong question
    I'd spit on your heaven
    If I could find one to believe in

    ReplyDelete